The last year (2017), I participated in IoT initiative at IBM, my team and I created a framework to bring TJBot to life. It was an amazing project and after that people often ask me How to start on the Internet of Things (IoT)?
It is an interesting question as IoT has an “unconventional” journey and many Software Developers feel lost in this universe. The IoT Developer you will need a diverse set of skills outside of programming language, they will need to know IoT architecture, platform, protocols, and tools, to help on this path. So, I’m adding my roadmap to learn it.
Internet of Things (IoT) Roadmap
- Understand what is the internet of things
- Learn the IoT Concepts and Architectures.
- Open source architecture for the Internet of Things
- I highly recommend this course for anyone: Developer’s guide to the Internet of Things (IoT).
- Consider building a prototype with Raspberry Pi, Arduino, ESP*, etc.
- This is the better way to learn about Sensors and Actuators.
- Learn the Communication Protocols for IoT
- As the Internet of Things consists of smart devices that communicate with each other.
- Watch the excellent presentation An Intro to IoT Protocols: MQTT, CoAP, HTTP & WebSockets • A. Almeida & J. Berciano about IoT Protocols made by António P. P. Almeida and Jaime González-Arintero Berciano
- Learn how to use an IoT Platform
Learning would come from creating a project and working through it. Feel free to send a comment for further discussion or improve this simple roadmap.